Friday, January 17, 2014

Midyear Exam -- Essay Prompt

Essay Prompt:

How do our beliefs about freedom of speech define us?

Where do you personally stand on the continuum between absolute freedom of individual expression and limitations that my be imposed for the "good of the group"? Where does our nation as a whole stand in comparison with other nations? What are the benefits and drawbacks of your / our beliefs? Refer to 3 or more case studies as examples.  

Respond in an essay of 4 or more well-developed paragraphs.

 Sample Essay Outline:
 1. Intro. / My beliefs about freedom of speech 
 2. How my beliefs have affected my decisions & practices.  Include benefits & drawbacks of my beliefs -- refer to 
       case studies & experiences 
 3. American in general -- beliefs about f.o.s. 
 4. Americans in general -- Benefits & drawbacks of American beliefs -- refer to case studies 
      & experiences 
 5. Closing -- summary statement and comment in response to prompt

No comments: